Different types of pranayama come with different types of benefits. In the same way, Sheetali Pranayama has a lot of benefits. To get the fullest Sheetali Pranayama Benefits you will have to practice this pranayama regularly. Regularity is the key to achieve maximum Sheetali Pranayama benefits.
Table of Contents
What Is Sheetali Pranayama?
The word “Sheetali” means “cool”, which is the process that can calm our body and give a sense of coolness. The word Sheetali is derived from the word “Sheetal”, this means soothing or cold.
The day-to-day practice of Cooling Breath or Sheetali Pranayama makes the mind calm as well as our body. The elementary purpose of the Cooling Breath or Sheetali Pranayama was to control body temperature which has a positive effect on our endocrine glands and nervous system.
By practicing this pranayama, the person becomes attractive and young and its daily practice enables you to control thirst and hunger. Cooling Breath or Sheetali Pranayama benefits are many and it is somewhat similar to Sheetkari Pranayama.
Both the Sheetali and Sheetkari pranayama are mentioned in the ancient text “Hatha Yoga Pradipika“.
How to Do Sheetali Pranayama?
The Sheetali pranayama is very much similar to the Sheetkari pranayama. However, there is a huge difference between Sheetali pranayama and sheetkari pranayama as well as dissimilarity between the Sheetali pranayama benefits and sheetkari pranayama benefits are noticeable.
Step By Step Instructions to do Sheetali Pranayama:
- At first, sit on the floor in the Padmasana or any other comfortable posture
- Now keep your hands on the knees in AnjimalaMudra or GyanMudra
- Close your eyes and try to relax your whole body
- Twist the edges of the tongue so that it becomes like a tube or a canal shape
- Inhale through this tube shapes or canal shaped tongue to fill the lungs with your full potential
- Once you are done with inhaling completely, take the tongue back into the mouth and close it
- Hold on the breath as long as possible
- Slowly exhale from the nostrils and make sure while exhaling, the sound like a strong wind should be produced
- This is a cycle
- In this way, do 10 to 15 times in the starting race and then gradually make it 15 to 30 minutes per day
Best Times To Practice Sheetali Pranayama
If you have started doing this pranayama right now, then you should practice it only for 5-7 minutes, because the time of this pranayama should not be extended slowly.
Practicing this pranayama in an empty stomach during morning and evening that will be more fruitful
Sheetali Pranayama benefits:
Beneficial in summer as the practice of this asana helps to cool down the body and mind
Regular practice of Sheetali Pranayama helps in keeping the digestive tract active
With the practice of Sheetali pranayama we can destroy most of the heart diseases
If your blood pressure is high then you can reduce blood pressure by practicing Sheetali pranayama.
If we practice Sheetali Pranayama regularly, then in a few days the problem of water loss in the body will be solved
With the practice of Sheetali pranayama, we can bring natural glow on our face
By practicing the cold pranayama, we can reduce the amount of materialism and emotional stimulation and restlessness of mind
We can control hunger and thirst by regularly practice the Sheetali pranayama
If any person practices this pranayama regularly, then he can get rid of the problems of his eyesight soon
If you are suffering from insomnia then you can get rid of the problem of not sleeping with the practice of this pranayama.
Precautions Of Sheetali Pranayama:
Do not practice Sheetali Pranayama in the winter season
Those who have heart disease should not stop breathing in the practice of Sheetali pranayama
Do not practice this pranayama in a polluted place
People, who are suffering from low BP or any respiratory disorders like asthma, excessive mucus, and bronchitis, should not do this pranayama
This practice reduces the functioning of low energy centers; therefore, those, who are suffering from enduring constipation, should not practice cold pranayama.
- Top Health Benefits Of Bhastrika Pranayama (Breath Of Fire)
- Ujjayi Pranayama Benefits To Our Health And Mind
- Cleanse All Nerves Of The Body With Nadi Shodhana Pranayama
- Know About Sheetkari Pranayama Steps, Benefits & Precautions
- Know About Different Types Of Pranayama And Benefits
- Amazing Health Benefits Of Bhramari Pranayama