Most of us think to lose weight by going to the gym at least once. We also start going to the gym and are excited to lose our weight in the first few days but gradually with heavy gym equipment and complex machines, the interest of exercise starts to decrease. But we have another option for this, which is yoga asanas for weight loss.
Yoga asanas for weight loss are very effective in reducing weight. It is also very useful for our body. Yoga asanas for weight loss not only strengthens the muscles, but it is also a way to increase digestive power.
Let us tell you about some yoga asanas for weight loss which will help in your weight loss…
What is Obesity?
Everything You Need To Know
- 1 What is Obesity?
- 2 Best Yoga Asanas for Weight Loss:
- 3 Baddha Konasana or Bound Angle Pose/ Butterfly Pose
- 4 How to Do Baddha Konasana?
- 5 Dhanurasana or Bow Pose
- 6 How to Do Dhanurasana?
- 7 Ustrasana or Camel Pose
- 8 How to Do Ustrasana?
- 9 Utkatasana or Chair Pose
- 10 How To Do Utkatasana?
- 11 Trikonasana or Triangle Pose
- 12 How to Do Trikonasana?
- 13 Ardha Chandrasana or Half Moon Pose
- 14 How to Do Ardha Chandrasana?
- 15 Virabhadrasana or Warrior Pose
- 16 How to Do Virabhadrasana I?
- 17 How to Do Virabhadrasana II?
- 18 How to Do Virabhadrasana III?
- 19 Halasana or Plough Pose
- 20 How to Do Halasana?
- 21 Chaturanga Dandasana or Four-Limbed Staff Pose/ Plank Pose
- 22 How to Do Chaturanga Dandasana?
- 23 Share this:
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the problem of obesity has doubled since 1980. The problem of obesity is a concern for health. Before sweating and going to the gym to lose weight, you have to understand that obesity is different from gaining weight.
In simple words, if your body mass index (BMI) is 25 or more, it means that your body weight has increased. But if your body mass index is 30 or more, then it means that you have become obese. Both of these conditions are dangerous for health and you should take immediate measures to control your body weight.
Best Yoga Asanas for Weight Loss:
Yoga keeps you fit both physically and mentally. By doing yoga, the body becomes strong, muscles are toned and weight is also reduced. Yoga not only reduces the fat stored in the body but also makes the body flexible so that you stay healthy. By doing yoga regularly, you lose weight and get into shape. So, now check out these best yoga asanas for weight loss below:
Baddha Konasana or Bound Angle Pose/ Butterfly Pose
When doing the Baddha Konasana, the pose becomes like a butterfly. Therefore, this asana is called butterfly posture. This yoga affects the stomach and thigh. If you have more fat on thighs and legs then do this asana.
How to Do Baddha Konasana?
- To do this asana, bring the ankles as close as possible by folding both legs from knees and keep your soles touched with each other
- Hold the toenails with hands
- Raise the knees and press down towards the ground
- Do this asana 10-15 times at least
Dhanurasana or Bow Pose
In this yoga posture, the shape of the body normally becomes like a bow drawn, hence it is called Dhanurasana. Dhanurasana or Bow Pose reduce stomach fat. This causes the exercise of all internal organs, muscles, and joints.
How to Do Dhanurasana?
- To do this, first, lie down on the stomach
- Then, connect the two legs to each other
- Bend both legs from your knees
- Hold the ankles of both feet with hands by keeping a gap of one foot between the knees and toes
- With the help of hands, raise the knees, thighs, and torso of both feet above the facility and as per the convenience
- Keep breathing comfortably
- In this position, stop for a comfortable period and return to the previous position
Ustrasana or Camel Pose
The word Ustra means camel in English. That is why it is called Ustrasana or Camel Pose. If the stomach is out of excess, then this yoga affects your stomach, waist, chest, and arms.
How to Do Ustrasana?
- To do this, sit in Vajrasana and then stand on your knees
- Keep the section from knees to waist straight and bend the back towards the back and grab the ankles of the feet with hands
- Now tilt the head backward
- Stay in this posture for about 30 to 60 seconds
- And then get back to your previous position
Utkatasana or Chair Pose
It is among those effective yoga asanas for weight loss that is effective helps in weight loss. If you have gained more weight lately then practicing this asana can control your weight. So, let’s now check how to perform Utkatasana or Chair Pose
How To Do Utkatasana?
- Standing straight on the ground with both legs together, keep both your hands straight upward
- And bring the waist and hips to the sitting position and stay there
- Shrink your hips slowly and try to be squatting and avoid bringing them back into more grooves or arc shape
- Keep both your thighs covered and try to bring them parallel to the floor while remaining in the same posture.
- Stay in this posture for 40 to 50 seconds
- This asana is very important for weight loss
- Repeat this asana many times and control your weight
Trikonasana or Triangle Pose
The Triangle Pose or Trikonasana helps in reducing fat from back and digestive problems. It has many other health benefits. The posture energizes the utilization of the stomach and back muscles for making equalization. The utilizing of the center for holding the body up assembles quality and stamina in the center muscles.
How to Do Trikonasana?
- To do this asana, stand upright, making the proper distance between your legs
- Rotate your right leg slightly to the right and move your left foot at 90 degrees
- Take a deep breath
- While exhaling, bend your body to the right
- Then lean down from the hips
- Keep the waist straight
- Move the right hand down towards the ground and raise your left hand up in the air
- Thus keep both your hands in a straight line
- Now turn your head towards the left-hand side
- Maintain this pose for 30 seconds at least.
Ardha Chandrasana or Half Moon Pose
The Half Moon Pose or Ardha Chandrasana helps to tone your hands, feet, and buttocks. Doing this posture reduces your stress and anxiety. This posture is of the common stretching and balancing yoga asanas for weight loss. This is particularly beneficial for stomach and lower waist fat reduction.
How to Do Ardha Chandrasana?
- To do this, first of all, join the heels of both legs
- For this, you need to stand upright, stretch your right hand
- Move your upper body to the right and tilt until your right-hand touches the ground
- Now raise your left leg and left hand upwards in the air
- Stay in this posture for a few seconds
- This is especially good for your legs and hip area
Virabhadrasana or Warrior Pose
The Virabhadrasana is also known as the Warrior Pose. There are a total of 3 variations of this Pose. These variations are as follow:
How to Do Virabhadrasana I?
- At first, Stand by spreading your legs
- Maintain a distance of 3 to 4 feet between the legs
- Move your right foot forward at 90-degree angle and move your left foot backward at 15-degree angle
- Now raise your both hands up
- Bend your right knee while you are exhaling
- Your right ankle and right knee should be placed in a straight line and the knee should place parallel to the floor
- Look straight at the sky
- Gradually lower your Pelvis just like a warrior
- Remain in this posture for 30 to 60 seconds
- Keep breathing until you get down
- Now repeat this posture with your left side
How to Do Virabhadrasana II?
- At first stand straight on the floor or on a yoga mat
- Take your legs 3 to 4 feet away from each other
- Now turn your left foot in between 45 to 60 degrees, and turn the right foot back to 90 degrees
- Raise your hands until the hands get straight to your shoulders
- Keep your left ankle firmly on the ground and turn on the right knee until the knee comes straight to the ankle
- Turn the head to the right at 90 degrees angle
- Stay in the posture for 30 to 60 seconds
- After doing this, practice all the steps on the left side
How to Do Virabhadrasana III?
- Get into the Warrior Pose I or Virabhadrasana I
- Then take the hands behind you to clasp & stretch them
- Now start tilting forward
- Then push yourself forward as well as start bending yourself down with your one leg and thus elevate yourself slowly
- Try to make a ‘T’ with your back, head, and leg, by taking them all in just one line as well as parallel to the ground
- Keep your other leg still on the floor for balancing the body weight properly
- Now keep the hands next to your hips, and then slowly bring the hands in the front to stretch them out
- Finally, hold for 30 to 50 seconds
- Practice this pose on each side
Halasana or Plough Pose
The Halasana or the Plough Pose has many benefits. Regular practice of Halasana does not let the weight of the person increase and does not catch diseases too. So, it is one of the most effective yoga asanas for weight loss.
How to Do Halasana?
- Lie down on your back for Plough Pose
- Join your feet and move them upwards slowly
- Now place your palms on the ground and slowly lift your waist and legs upwards
- Then bend your lower body backward and allow your feet to come above your head
- Keep your feet straight and touch the ground with the toe
- Now slowly bring your hands above the head and the toes outwards
- After being in this position for a few seconds, slowly apply your back and legs to the ground
- This asana helps in strengthening the abdominal muscles
- It is good for losing weight and also for people suffering from spinal diseases.
Chaturanga Dandasana or Four-Limbed Staff Pose/ Plank Pose
The Plank Pose or Chaturanga Dandasana Yoga resembles a push-up in appearance, but there are many differences between the two. This asana helps in properly forming your body. In this posture, the entire weight of your body is on the arms and legs. So, this is one of the best yoga asanas for weight loss.
How to Do Chaturanga Dandasana?
- At first, lie on a yoga mat on the stomach
- In this posture, keep both your hands in the same way as Bhujangasana
- Keep your both hands on the ground ahead of your shoulders with your fingers facing forward
- Then keep the fingers of both your legs straight on the ground so that the weight of the body can be lifted on them
- Now try to raise both your knees slowly while emphasizing the fingers of the feet
- Then while inhaling, lift the bodyweight on both your hands
- Draw a 90-degree angle at the elbow between your upper-arm (upper arm) and the forearm (lower arm)
- Now your whole body will come parallel to the floor
- In this case, your body will remain completely up, just both hands and toes will remain on the ground, on which the entire weight of your body will remain
- Do this asana for 10 to 30 seconds
- After that, while exhaling; slowly come back to your initial state.