Dandasana (Staff Pose) is a simple seated pose of yoga. Dandasana (Staff Pose) Or दण्डासन helps to increase energy in the body. It is a type of sitting yoga. This yoga is very important to improve sitting posture.
Staff Pose helps to create the path of energy for self-awakening. Therefore, Staff Pose is an ideal posture to promote power and good posture. So, let’s know more about Dandasana (Staff Pose) below…
What Is Dandasana (Staff Pose)?
Dandasana (Staff Pose) is a Sanskrit word that is made up of two words, in which the first word “Danda” means “stick or Staff” and the second word “Asana” means ” yoga pose “. It is also called “Staff Pose” in English.
Staff Pose is a practice that prepares your body for advanced postures. It also increases your ability to completely align your body.
This yoga pose is the basis for all sitting postures. If you look closely, it is a sitting version of Tadasana or Mountain Pose.
Dandasana (Staff Pose) is the first posture in the Ashtanga Yoga series. Staff Pose is a sitting yoga position. Therefore, Staff Pose is the basis of all other sitting yoga pose.
Preparatory Poses Of Staff Pose:
- Adho Mukha Svanasana Or Downward facing dog pose
- Bharadvajasana Or Bharadvaja’s Twist
- Poorvottanasana Or Upward Plank Pose
- Parsvottanasana Or Pyramid Pose / Intense Side Stretch
- Uttanasana Or Standing Forward Bend
Steps To Do Dandasana:
- To do Staff Pose, firstly, spread a yoga mat or a blanket on the floor and sit on a blanket or you can also sit on the floor.
- Now, stretch your legs in front of you and, erect your spine and, neck.
- Press your thighs and heel on the floor.
- Now keep both of your hands straight and, place the palms on the ground. The hands should be near the hips.
- Raise your chest and pull your shoulders a bit to spread your collarbones.
- Now look straight and, keep your breath normal.
- Hold the pose for 20 seconds to 60 seconds.
Benefits Of Staff Pose:
Dandasana (Staff Pose) has many benefits for our health. From improving balance to stretching muscles Staff Pose has many benefits. So, see the Staff Pose benefits below…
Stretches The Shoulders:
Doing continuous work throughout the day on the computer starts to feel the pain in the shoulder and chest, this posture produces a pull in your shoulder that reduces this pain.
Physical stress and emotional irritation in daily life are stored in the shoulder area. Which causes the pain of shoulder pain. Staff Pose is an effective technique to repair shoulder and chest pain due to both physical and emotional stress.
Spine Flexibility And Strength:
The spinal cord is a very important part of our upper body, without it, no one can sit or cannot walk. The spinal cord helps in giving a strong structure to our back.
Staff Pose makes our spinal cord stronger and flexible and, this flexibility is helpful in reducing the injury you feel. Staff pose also helps to tight hamstrings.
Recommended Articles :-
- Purpose And Benefits Of Doing Boot Camp Yoga
- 13 Powerful Surya Namaskar Mantra In English
- Cooling Breath Or Sheetali Pranayama Benefits And Steps
- Lord of the Dance/Natarajasana Steps, Benefits & Precautions
- Know The Kriya Yoga Steps To Do And Benefits
- Know In Details About The Shashankasana Yoga Sequences
Makes Back Muscles Strong:
Staff Pose is a good posture for strengthening our back muscles and keeping them healthy. Due to working for a lean period more and sitting for more time on the chair, the pain in the back muscles continues for a long time, so that they become weak, Staff Pose is a good posture to strengthen them.
Reduces Sciatica Pain:
Staff Pose is a very good yoga pose to reduce the pain to the lower part of the body such as legs, thighs, ankles, and pain in heels. This posture helps in fixing the pain in the inner thighs, tailbone and sciatica pain.
Makes Brain Strong:
Staff Pose also keeps your brain healthy like other yoga as the regular practice of this posture reduces stress hormone cortisol. This asana helps in concentrating on the brain and also helps to calm it down. It relieves stress and helps to increase concentration.
Dandasana (Staff Pose) helps to improve your digestion system. Good digestion is very important for the overall welfare of a person. Digestive problems like constipation, acid reflux, and bloating are very uncomfortable and unhealthy. So, practice this yoga for a better digestive system.
The most painful time for any person is when they can not use his or her body parts properly when the person is sitting and standing, improper alignment of the body can lead to scoliosis, kyphosis, and lordosis.
Practicing Staff Pose helps to improve your posture, as a result, these diseases cannot affect your health.
Precautions To Do Staff Pose:
There are some precautions for doing Staff Pose. The precautions are…
- If there is a pain in your lower back and wrists, then you should not do this posture.
- Well, it is quite a simple posture but it is best to be in the care of Yoga instructor.
- Do not try to do Yoga posture more than your capacity, do as much as you can bear.
- Consult the doctor before starting the practice of Staff Pose.