Name of the Yoga Pose: Adho Mukha Vrksasana (Handstand) or अधो मुखा वृक्षासन
Type of Yoga: Hatha
Level of Yoga: Advanced
Duration: As per your capability or 1-3 minutes
Target Area: Shoulders, Core, Back,
Strengthens: Shoulders, Arms, Wrists
Props: Start with a wall or someone to spot you.
Health Benefits: Energizes both body and mind by increasing the blood flow to our brain
Adho Mukha Vrksasana (Handstand) is quite a hard one as for pose you need to have a lot of strength and well sense of balance. However, if you practice this asana regularly then you will be able to perform it perfectly in just one try. So, all you need in this asana is practice to get its benefits.
What does it mean by Adho Mukha Vrksasana (Handstand)?
Adho Mukha Vrksasana came from four Sanskrit words, where:
“Adho (अधो)” means ‘Downward’,
“Mukha (मुखा)” means ‘Face’,
“Vrksa (वृक्षा)” means ‘Tree’ and
“Asana (आसन)” means ‘Yoga pose’.
This pose is thus also called downward facing tree pose. In this yoga pose, you have to rest your hand (palm) on the floor and your legs will stay towards the sky. Handstand pose is very beneficial in many ways. So, let’s now check out all the other details regarding this asana and its benefits.
In case you are a beginner then take the wall’s support or you can also ask anyone to give you support while doing this asana.
Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward facing dog pose)
Step By Step Guide To Adho Mukha Vrksasana
If you are new to yoga and are just beginning to do Yoga then you may find it difficult for the first time. However, you can do it easily with little practice. Below we are telling the simple and easy method of doing this yoga, which you can do it easily:
- To practice the Adho Mukha Vrksasana (handstand) at first, take a yoga mat and sit on it
- Now you sit in the Marjariasana (Cat pose) by walking towards the wall
- Keep in mind that in this situation your feet should touch the wall
- Keep both of your hands slightly away from each other (at least 6 inches away), so that you don’t have to face any difficulty in making balance
- Shoulder width helps in your balance and will provide strength
- After this, slowly take your knees above the floor and straighten the arms and legs so that you can balance your body
- Now place your right foot at the height of the hips on the wall and push it to the wall
- Again, do this action with your left foot. In this situation, both your legs will be parallel to the hips on the wall
- In this posture breathe at least for 5 to 8 times
- Now take your legs straight by the wall and keep the body weight on your hands (Make sure your upper arms stay straight)
- Practice this for a few days in this posture so that you can be able to perform the next action
- Now make the balance of the whole body on your hands and straighten the feet away from the wall.
For the beginners, it will be great if you can resort to a friend or yoga teacher who can help you catch your feet to do this yoga or you can also join a yoga class so that you do not get into any trouble while practicing this asana.
Precautions of Adho Mukha Vrksasana (Handstand)
Pregnant women do not do this posture or consult a doctor before doing this.
If you have back pain, then you do not do this posture. So that you can skip the risk of getting severe back pain
Individuals, who are troubling with shoulder pain, do not do this posture.
People with neck pain and headache should not try this asana.
High blood pressure patients do not do this posture.
It can be a bit harder for the beginners to do this asana, so you might need to take some precautions while performing the Adho Mukha Vrksasana (Handstand)
Benefits of Adho Mukha Vrksasana (Handstand)
Regular practice of the Adho Mukha Vrksasana helps to strengthen the upper body parts
This Asana helps to improve blood flow in the head, scalp and also to the eyes. So, regular practice of this asana can prove to be very beneficial for the eyesight
If you want to increase your focus then you must practice this asana regularly
As the asana helps to improve the blood flow thus it is very beneficial for improving the digestive system
Due to the improved blood flow to the brain, this asana is very helpful in relieving the stress. So to get rid of stress practice this asana
It helps to clean the adrenal gland and also strengthens the core muscles, so practice this asana regularly to get the fullest benefits of it
In the end, all I have to say is to follow the precautions that are mentioned in this article, take any support you are comfortable with like wall or friend or yoga teacher or join a yoga class if you feel the need. And the most important of all is that you have to practice it regularly to get its noticeable benefits.