Name of the Yoga Pose: Viparita Karani (विपरीत करनी) or legs up the wall pose
Type of Yoga: Hatha Yoga
Level of Yoga: Basic
Duration: As per your capability or 30 to 60 seconds
Target Area: Front Torso, Back Legs, Back Of the Neck
Regular practice of yoga asana makes you fit both physically and mentally. So, if you want to prevent symptoms of aging, you want to keep blood flow better in the body, then try the Viparita Karani (legs up the wall pose). Those who have stomach related problems should also practice it.
Learn, about the method of doing the Viparita Karani (legs up the wall pose) in the right way, and about the benefits that you will get with the regular practice of legs up the wall pose.
What Does The Viparita Karani (Legs Up The Wall Pose) Mean?
Everything You Need To Know
- 1 What Does The Viparita Karani (Legs Up The Wall Pose) Mean?
- 2 Preparatory Poses Of Legs Up The Wall Pose
- 3 Methods of doing Viparita Karani (Legs Up The Wall Pose)
- 4 Follow-Up Poses Of Viparita Karani (Legs Up The Wall Pose)
- 5 Variation Of Viparita Karani:
- 6 Precautions To Legs Up The Wall Pose:
- 7 Benefits Of Viparita Karani (Legs Up The Wall Pose)
Viparita Karani is a Sanskrit language word consisting of two words, in which
The first word is “Viparita (विपरीत)” which means “inverted” and
The second word is “Karani (करणी)” which means “Doing”.
In this posture, you have to make your feet upwards like Sarvangasana (सर्वांगासन). This seat is also called legs Up the Wall pose.
In some Hindu scriptures it has been said that the Viparita Karani reduces wrinkles. This is one of the most beneficial Restorative poses. Let us know in detail the way to do the Viparita Karani and the benefit to it.
Preparatory Poses Of Legs Up The Wall Pose
Balasana or Child Pose
Bhujangasana or Cobra Pose
Marjariasana or Cat Pose
Padahastasana or Uttanasana or Standing Forward Bend
Virasana or Hero Pose
Setu Bandha Sarvangasana or Bridge Pose
Supta Baddha Konasana or Reclining Bound Angle Pose
Methods of doing Viparita Karani (Legs Up The Wall Pose)
- At first, lie down on the floor and let the body relax
- Gently lift both the legs
- When the legs come to 45 ° angle, support the waist with your palms and lift the hips too
- Now lift the legs upwards until they are straight upwards
- Keep in mind that the elbows should remain on the ground and your palms should give support to the waist
- The back should be approximately 45 ° angle from the ground
- Breathe for 30-60 seconds in this yoga pose
- To get out of the asana, do all the steps in reverse order
Follow-Up Poses Of Viparita Karani (Legs Up The Wall Pose)
Variation Of Viparita Karani:
- If you are having difficulty doing the legs up the wall pose, lie down beside a wall. Keep your hips hinges on the wall, keep the waist on the floor yet closer to the wall or on a pillow or a folded blanket and keep legs on the wall.
- If there is more pressure on the neck, then roll a towel and place it under your shoulders.
- If doing so leads to strains in the legs or hips, then fold the legs according to need.
Precautions To Legs Up The Wall Pose:
The legs up the wall pose is a simple yoga posture, but even before doing this posture, keep in mind the following things:
A person with a hip or knee injury should avoid this posture.
If you have serious problems like cataracts, avoid this posture.
Patients with glaucoma, hypertension or hernia should not do this posture.
Do not do this posture during women’s menstruation.
If you have back pain problems, then put a folded blanket under your waist and make this asana
Pregnant women should avoid doing this posture.
Benefits Of Viparita Karani (Legs Up The Wall Pose)
Removes pain and exhaustion in the legs
The legs, the torso, and the neck, sitting bones relax by bringing a slight pull.
Relieves light-back pain
The mind relaxes thus you can get relieve from anxiety
- Digestive problems
- High and low blood pressure
- Mild depression
- Respiratory disorder
- nervous system
- Menstrual cramps
- Varicose veins
- Urinary disorders get healed with regular practice of this asana