Sanskrit Name: Supta Baddha Konasana (सुप्त बंध कोणासन)
English Name: Reclining Bound Angle Pose
Type of Yoga: Vinyasa Flow Yoga
Level of Yoga: Basic
Duration: As per your capability or 30 to 60 seconds
Target Area: Groin, Thighs, Knees
Strengthens: Back, Legs, Reproductive System, Digestive System
Supta Baddha Konasana is a very comfortable yoga posture. This is a restorative pose that relaxes the body, mind, and soul. This seat removes fatigue, anxiety, and insomnia. It opens the chest to take deep breaths. Regular practice of this asana gives energy to your body.
What Does It Mean By Supta Baddha Konasana?
Everything You Need To Know
The term Supta Baddha Konasana has come from four Sanskrit language word.
Where the first word is “Supta (सुप्त)”, which means “Reclining”
The second word is “Baddha (बंध)”, which means “Bound”
And the third word is “Kona (कोण)”, which means “Angle”
Finally, the fourth word is “Asana (आसन)”, which means “Yoga Pose”
This posture is also called “Reclining Bound Angle Pose” in English. Let’s know in details about the Supta Baddha Konasana (Reclining Bound Angle Pose) method and its benefits. It’s not merely a restorative yoga pose but it also a great hip opening yoga asana. This’s a basic yoga pose that anyone can try. Let’s now know the steps and benefits of the Supta Baddha Konasana below.
Preparatory Poses of Supta Baddha Konasana:
- Baddha Konasana (बंध कोणासन) or Bound Angle Pose or Butterfly Pose
- Virasana (वीरासन) or Hero Pose
- Vrikshasana (वृक्षासन) or Tree Pose
- Supta Padangusthasana (सुपता पादंगुष्ठासन) or Reclining Hand-To-Big-Toe Pose
Method of Doing Supta Baddha Konasana:
- To do this posture, at first, lie down on the ground on your back
- Then spread out both hands and feet
- Now folding the knees join your both ankles together in such a way that it gives a great stretch in the inner thighs and groin
- Place your palms next to the hips and keep them pressed downwards
- Ensure that your lower spine isn’t forcefully arched
- You must also ensure that your shoulders are well relaxed as well as placed far from the neck
- Your body’s posture should appear like it is shown in the above picture
- When you feel comfortable, take at least five deep breaths to stay in this posture for 30 to 60 seconds
If you want, you can keep a cushion or a folded blanket under your lower back for support
Do not arch your spine forcefully to practice asana
In case you feel any stress in your groins and inner thighs, immediately support your thighs on a folded blanket or a block somewhat above the extreme stretch of groins
If you can’t keep your legs touching the floor completely then you can keep then a little lifted in the beginning
In case you face any complications while practicing this asana then immediately consult any yoga expert.
Follow-Up Poses of Supta Baddha Konasana:
- Gomukhasana (गोमुखासन) or Cow’s Face Pose
- Padmasana (पद्मासन) or Lotus Pose
- Malasana (मालासन) or Garland Pose or Squat Pose
Precautions to Supta Baddha Konasana:
If you have a knee injury, lower back pain, shoulder injury or injury to the hip, then do not do this asana
Pregnant women should do this posture under the supervision of an instructor or do not just do this asana while you are pregnant
Try to do this asana in the morning and if not possible then you can do this asana also in the evening but in that case, you have to keep a gap of at least 3-4 hours between your meal and yoga practice.
Benefits of Supta Baddha Konasana:
- Regular practice of this asana relaxes the mind and relieves the headache
- This posture gives relief from stress and cures depression
- The practice of Supta Baddha Konasana activates the ovaries, prostate gland, kidneys and bladder
- By regularizing this posture the heart gets stimulated and the blood circulation improves
- If you want to achieve a great shape of your hips, then Reclining Bound Angle Pose is a good choice
- Supta Baddha Konasana reduces tension in the muscles and relaxes you from fatigue and insomnia
- Due to the regular practice of Reclining Bound Angle Pose, your groin (part of the stomach), gets a good stretch in the inner thighs and knees
- This seat improves digestion and reproductive system and also treats stomach, infertility, menopause, etc.