Sanskrit Name: Janushirasana (जानुशिरासन)
English Name: Head To Knee Pose
Type of Yoga: Ashtanga Yoga
Level of Yoga: Advanced / Intermediate
Duration: As per your capability or 30 to 60 seconds
Target Area: Shoulders, Vertebral Columns, Groin, Hamstrings
Janushirasana is one of the yoga poses of Ashtanga Yoga. Janushirasana belongs to the primary stage of Ashtanga Yoga and Janushirasana benefits are many. In this yoga pose, you have to fold your body in such way your heads get closer to the knees. Janushirasana is the preliminary of the posture Paschimottana Asana or Seated Forwarded Bend Pose. This Posture helps you to bring flexibility and youthfulness to your muscles and nerves of your body.
Source :- naturehomeopathy . com
What Does it mean By Janushirasana (Head to Knee Pose)?
Everything You Need To Know
The term Janushirasana has come from three Sanskrit language word.
Where the first word is “Janu (जानु)”, which means “Knee Joint” in English
The second word is “Shira (शिर)”, which means “Head”
And the third word is “Asana (आसन)”, which means “Yoga Pose”
That’s why this yoga pose is known as Head to Knee Pose. In this yoga pose, you have to place your head on knee joints. There are many Janushirasana benefits on our health. Here I will be discussing Janushirasana, It’s steps and benefits. So see below to know more about this yoga pose.
Janushirasana is a yoga pose which is known as Head Knee Pose in English. This is one of the seated yoga poses which has many health benefits. This yoga looks quite difficult to do but once you get used to it, it will not be that difficult.
Preparatory Poses of Janushirasana (Head to Knee Pose):
- Dandasana (दंडासन) or Staff Pose
- Balasana (बालासन) or Child’s Pose, or Child’s Resting Pose
- Paschimottanasana (पश्चिमोत्तानासन) or Seated Forward Bend
- Baddha Konasana (बद्ध कोणासन) or Bound Angle Pose / Throne Pose / Butterfly Pose
- Padahastasana / Uttanasana (पादहस्तासन / उत्तानासन) or Standing Forward Bend
- Adho Mukha Svanasana (अधो मुख श्वानासन) or Downward-Facing Dog Pose
- Vrikshasana (वृक्षासन) or Tree Pose
- Purvottanasana (पूर्वोतानासन) or Upward Plank Pose
- Ardha Baddha Padma Paschimottanasana (अर्ध बद्ध पद्मा पश्चिमोत्तानासन) or Half Bound Lotus Seated Forward Bend
- Trianga Mukhaikapada Paschimottanasana (त्रिअंग मुखेकपद पश्चिमोत्तानासन) or Three-Limbed Forward Bend
- Supta Padangusthasana (सुप्त पादंगुष्ठासन) or Reclining Hand-to-Big-Toe Pose
Steps To Do Janushirasana:
Janushirasana is a seated yoga pose which is simple and easy. For beginners, it may look difficult but once you master the yoga position it will not be that difficult. See the steps below…
- Sit on the floor extending your legs in front you.
- Fold your right leg and place it to the left leg’s origin.
- Stretch your left leg out as it looks like the word “L”.
- Now inhale and bend your body over your left leg.
- Keep your spine stretched.
- Try to touch your knee with your nose.
- Grab your feet with your arms.
- Hold your breath and stay in this position as long as you can.
- Do the same to another side.
Follow-up Poses Of Janushirasana Or Head to Knee Pose:
- Marichysana (मरीच्यासन) or Pose of Marichi
- Navasana (नावासन) or Boat Pose
- Bhuja Pidasana (भुजपीडासन) or Shoulder-Pressing Pose
- Kurmasana (कूर्मासन) or Turtle Pose
- Supta Kurmasana (सुप्तकूर्मासन) or Sleeping Turtle Pose
Source :- naturehomeopathy . com
Benefits Of Janushirasana:
There are many Janushirasana benefits on our health. These benefits are described below…
- Janushirasana is one of the best yoga poses to reduce belly fat.
- One of the Janushirasana benefits is this yoga pose helps to active intestines that helps to improve your digestion system and constipation.
- Due to stretching the left leg it gives a gentle massage to the pancreas which helps to defeat diabetes.
- Janurasana helps to recover from cold and fever.
- One of the Janushirasana benefits is by practicing this posture, knees, back, waist and leg nerves and muscles are strengthened.
- Flexibility can be brought in the back and spinal cord, causing irregular pain in them.
- Janushirasana makes the respiratory system healthy.
- Seasonal diseases or defects can be cured by Janushirasana. This is another Janushirasana benefits.
- The pain of sciatica can also be overcome by this posture. This is one of the best Janushirasana benefits.
- Diseases of the stomach can be cured and the digestive system can be strengthened.
- This posture can increase the libido in the women and the genitals of the female-male can be strengthened.
- One of the Janushirasana benefits is this asana can help to recover the disorders of the original blood vessel that passes through the spinal cord.
- Practicing Janushirasana helps to get relief from headaches, fatigue, and anxiety.
- Practicing this asana relieves headaches, anxiety, and fatigue.
- Janushirasana helps to reduce menstrual and menopausal disorders.
Source :- journeysofyoga . com
The precaution of practicing Janushirasana are…
- Do not try an extra effort at once. The extent of achievement in this position depends on the flexibility of your body, so try slowly for success in this yoga session.
- Do not practice Janushirasana If you are suffering from a slipped disc, knee injury or a hernia.
- Do not practice this asana if you have diarrhea or asthma.
- Know All About Supta Virasana Benefits, Steps & Precautions
- Ustrasana Benefits Everyone Should Know About
- Bhujangasana Benefits Everyone Should Know
- Know The Steps And Benefit Of Ardha Matsyendrasana
- Know About The Steps, Precaution, And Benefit Of Salabhasana
- Supta Vajrasana Step By Step Instructions To Do This Asana